24 November 2008

The Chestnut Fête - First things First!


Yesterday Roquebrune village held its annual Fête des Châtaignes (the Chestnut Fête) - with between 1500 and 2000 visitors arriving at the village to buy roasted chestnuts and sip hot wine or tequila.

But let's start at the beginning. The festivities start at 10 a.m. - I got there around 8.30 - so I could find a parking place. Later it would be impossible as the road to the village would be closed and I'd have had to wait for one of the specially run buses ferrying in the visitors.

And at 8.30 a.m. it was cold! These guys - members of Les Coqs Roquebrunois are preparing one of the braziers but also feeding the 'inner man.' Red wine, bread and salami.

In the smaller photograph, you'll see one of them is pointing at something. He wants his friends to look up at Mont Gros which is covered in snow.

Tomorrow - the roasting of the chestnuts.

10 comments:

  1. It was so cold I can't imagine why they weren't huddled over the brazier...maybe because of the red wine!
    You've caught the convivial atmosphere very well. I can almost feel those flames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. la fête des châtaignes..hummm...j'adore les châtaignes chaudes, c'est bon quand il commence a faire froid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Haven't had a roasted chestnut in ages. Guess I live in the wrong city!! Now red wine on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply love, love, love roast chestnuts. They sell them here, and when I smell them, a Proustian sensation whips me right off to Paris...or maybe now to Menton!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too haven't smelled roasted chestnuts in ages, and I miss that smell! Great photo and story--makes me wanna be there shivering with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great fun, if the preparations are anything to go by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never attended a fete des chataignes!!!!!!!!! That must have been great.

    Your "yellow" photo is really magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you were able to "feed" the inner woman as well! and stayed warm! Sounds like a fun event.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You caught this atmosphere so well, Jilly! I like these small get-togethers. Sometimes they organize this chestnut-roasts also here in Arona and everybody can participate with a glass of wine in the other hand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails