25 November 2007

Come fly with me - 1


Paragliding (parapente) from Mont Gros is one of the most popular places to practice this sport. Mont Gros is way above the medieval hill village of Roquebrune, which you see in this photograph. Flyers eventually land on the Plage du Golfe Bleu, near to Cap-Martin where a small bus drives them all the way back to Mont Gros to start all over again.

I was driving back from Monaco this morning - you'll note the rain has gone - and the sky was filled with paragliders. Luckily, being a Sunday, I found a place to park and so we'll have a few days of this adventure.

Tomorrow you'll see Cap Martin and the beach when they land. The day after - a landing.

10 comments:

  1. That looks cool. Do they wear bathing suits in case they land in the water?

    BTW, is that a giant rock on the hillside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe they do wear wetsuits. and yes, again, that's a giant rock! I've not featured the perched village of Roquebrune yet, but I will. It's such a beautiful village and so near to Menton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a ParaFlite over Lake Michigan last summer with http://www.paraflite.net/ and had a ball! They use a powered unit that takes off and lands like a plane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. comes very popular in Romanian mountains too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to do that :-)) but I would be scared. Beautiful photo, Jilly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paragliding, how beautiful and I've never done it! (Yet.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat shot Jilly. And although it may seem mundane to local folks, I find the view of the hillside truly stunning. What a different way of life it must be from my own. How interesting! I look forward to the follow up shots.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Jilly - paragliding is wonderful and I have done a small jump but my former husband broke his ankle very badly on a bad landing. It can be dangerous but it is very exhilirating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. je me contenterais de regarder, j'ai le vertige. la photo est superbe, bravo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely magnificent landscape! There is another place I must see before I die! There is such a long list.

    I'm envious and thank you for bringing us photos from this beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails